Proud Garuda.

Proud Garuda story tells about how pride and ingratitude leads us in wrong direction.

NOW LET US GET INTO THE STORY.

Every god is believed to have his own celestial vehicle. The strong and majestic bird Garuda, carried around Vishnu on his back. He was very proud of this honour because it was he who carried the Lord of the Universe, Vishnu, when he went around conquering the world. As days went by, Garuda was filled with pride. He terrified the snakes and loved to eat them. They were no match for the great bird so they scuttled into holes and corners whenever they saw him coming. Only one powerful snake Mani, the son of Ananta Naga, resented this. He hated living this life in constant terror as Garuda, without any warning, would come and grab the first snake he would spot. Mani Naga was smart enough not to get caught but he also realised that he was no match for Garuda. Finally, Mani Naga decided to pray to Shiva for protection and to make Garuda powerless.

Mani Naga prayed for several days. He put his heart and soul into his prayers. At last Shiva appeared before him, pleased by his sincerity and earnestness. "Well, Mani Naga. I am pleased with you," he said, "What boon would you like to ask of me?". "Please bless me that I may always have your protection. Garuda should not be able to harm me in any way. I am tired of living in constant fear," said Mani Naga. "Very well, it shall be just as you wish. From this moment, you need not fear Garuda any more," pronounced Shiva. Mani Naga heaved a sigh of relief. He was also jubilant as he could now each Garuda lived. Mani Naga moved around defiantly, choosing the most prominent places so that Garuda might see him. Garuda saw him but could not bear this sight. A mere snake defying me, the mighty Garuda! he thought.

"What do you mean by parading in front of me like this, Mani Naga, tossing  his hood. "you must be out of your senses! Don't you know that I can gobble you up this instant, in one single mouthful?" "Just try it and see," hissed Mani Naga. Garuda had just finished a huge meal and his stomach was full. He did not feel like eating just then. I cannot allow this creature to be cheeky! he thought. Garuda grabbed Mani Naga by his tail, and locked him up in his room. "I'll have you for my dinner tonight," said Garuda. "That should teach you a lesson!" Poor Mani Naga was terrified, and not know what to do. He did not expect this after being blessed by Shiva. In the meantime, Nandi, Shiva's Vahana, noticed that Mani Naga had not returned home that evening. He went straight to Shiva.

"My Lord," he said, "I am sure Mani Naga is in some danger. He has not returned home that evening. Perhaps Garuda has eaten him up, after all." Shiva closed his eyes for a moment, and saw what had happened. He blamed himself for having forgotten his promise to Mani Naga. "Well, my Lord? What did you see?" asked Nandi. "Mani Naga is not dead, Nandi, but I am afraid Garuda has locked him up in his room.". "What do we do now, my Lord?" asked Nandi, "You know, you had promised to protect him." "Go to Vishnu immediately, and pray to him. When he offers you a boon, ask him for Mani Naga, and bring him along with you", said Shiva. Nandi dashed off to Vishnu's abode and knelt before him in earnest prayer. Vishnu was pleased and Nandi asked him for Mani Naga.

"Very well," said Vishnu, "I shall ask Garuda to release Mani Naga immediately. You can take him back to Kailasa with you." Nandi bowed his head and expressed his gratitude for granting his prayer. Garuda was getting ready to eat his dinner when Vishnu sent for him. "Why have you sent for me at this hour, my Lord?" he asked in an insolent voice. "Garuda, I want you to release Mani Naga at once and let him to go with Nandi," said Vishnu. "Certainly not!" said Garuda . "You know how I enjoy eating snakes. I have captured him and he belongs to me rightfully. "Even then, I am asking you to let him off," said Vishnu. "I shall not let him off," said Garuda in an arrogant tone.

"My Lord, it is not fair that you should ask me to give up what belongs to me. "Vishnu was astonished at Garuda's arrogance. Nandi was also shocked. "Do you know what you are saying, Garuda? I think you are forgetting yourself," Vishnu said sternly. "I am not forgetting myself at all," said Garuda, tossing his head. "It's you, forgetting what you owe me. It is because I carry you everywhere on my back that you are able to go where you please. You are victorious in every battle on my account. You were able to conquer the demons because of me. "Vishnu should have been very angry with Garuda's absurd boasting. But instead, he burst out laughing. "I don't see why you should laugh at my words," said Garuda arrogantly. "What I said is absolutely true."

"Oh well," said Vishnu still laughing, "so I am victorious because of you is it? And I am able to move around because of you?" "Of course...." said Garuda. "Garuda!" cried Nandi, horrified, "What are you saying? How can you even think such a thing? Your pride will destroy you totally if you go on like this. Beg for Vishnu's pardon at once." "Leave Garuda alone, Nandi," Vishnu said in a gentle voice. "I shall deal with him." He turned to Garuda. "Well, Garuda, "he said giving him a searching look, "I do admit that you are very strong. Only a very strong person can possibly carry me. Now, tell me, can you bear the weight of my small toe and nothing else?"

"I don't understand what you mean by that, my Lord," said Garuda amazed, "I carry the whole of  you on my back, don't I?" "Very well. Let me rest just my small toe on your back," said Vishnu and placed his small toe on Garuda's back. It's weight squashed Garuda's neck flat in an instant and went right inside Garuda's shoulder. In a moment Garuda was nothing but a twisted lump of feathers. "I am sorry, my Lord," cried Garuda in panic, "Please have mercy on me. I now see how very absurd my pride was. You are the Lord and master. The only power I have is what you choose to bless me with. I realise that now. "Are you quite sure you do?" asked Vishnuu. "Yes, my Lord," cried Garuda in a humble voice.

"I made a grave mistake because my pride made me blind. I can see it all and I am so sorry. Do please  forgive me. Just then Goddess Lakshmi appeared, disturbed by the noise. She felt very sorry to see Garuda's crumpled body. "Please forgive Garuda, my Lord,' she pleased. "I am sure he has paid the price of his pride. He must be in great pain. Please give him back his original form. He looks so terrible with his body all twisted up." "Not as yet," said Vishnu firmly. "Pride and ingratitude are two vices. Garuda must learn that this could lead to his ruin. Nandi, take Garuda and Mani Naga to Shiva. Garuda will get back his original form only if he succeeds in pleasing Shiva with his prayers." Nandi took both of them to Kailasa and narrated the incident to Shiva.

Garuda began praying to Shiva and begged for his mercy. Shiva finally felt sorry for him and said, "Go and take a dip in the Gautami Ganga. You will get back your original body. But do not ever forget what happens to people who are proud and ungrateful." Garuda thanked Shiva and rushed to the celestial river. He jumped into the water and when he rose, he felt as strong, powerful and handsome as ever. Garuda really learnt his lesson. From then on, he never allowed pride to go to his head ever again! 


   

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How Narada Became a Wanderer

Gajendra Moksham

Rukmini Kalyanam